Monday, June 11, 2007

What I've been thinking about . . .

So, at the church that I attend, sporadically at best, we have been going over the lives of the patriarchs. That's right, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob . . .. Last week, we read through Genesis 30-31 and I know I've read this before, but I'm totally just astounded! Reading through and seeing how jealous, conniving, manipulative and petty Rachel and Leah are make me wonder why God loves any of his creation! I know, he made us and he loves us because we're his children -- the same parents love their own children even though they're flawed and jealous, conniving, etc, etc. But, it's just doubly obvious when I see Rachel exchanging sex with her husband for mandrake roots from Leah, forcing Jacob to sleep with her servant to compete with Leah (no mention of complaints from Jacob though) . . .. I'm completely aware that we are no better now, nor probably ever will be. Also, there are precious few times where any 'shining' moments by these women are recorded, so it's a little difficult to see them in a significant positive way.
But, in a way, it's also a reminder and encouragement that though Rachel & Leah behaved like this, God still loved and blessed them -- so they must have repented and there are a few instances recorded of them praising God. Even though I'm, in many ways, conniving, manipulative, jealous and petty, God still loves me and could possibly bless me? You know, I do need some more money for tuition . . . . anyways.

On to other thoughts: I'm reading A Generous Orthodoxy by Brian McLaren right now. I really haven't gotten too far, but the intro and his many disclaimers are quite entertaining and thought-provoking thus far. Here's a part that I really liked:

  • "If I seem to show too little respect for your opinions or thought, be assured I have equal doubts about my own, and I don't mind if you think I'm wrong. I'm sure I am wrong about many things, although I'm not sure exactly which things I'm wrong about. I'm even sure I'm wrong about what I think I'm right about in at least some cases. So wherever you think I'm wrong, you could be right. If, in the process of determining that I'm wrong, you are stimulated to think more deeply and broadly, I hope that I will have served you anyway." p. 24

Totally cool . . . maybe you'll want to read it now? It's a good different view on Christianity and I'm so excited to get more time to read it. If anyone feels motivated to read it and feels like discussing things about it with me, that would be so cool. Really.

Anyways, that's all I've got for now. I've got to plan a soccer practice now for a struggling team -- sigh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

huh?